Monday, April 9, 2012

WEEK 14: 31 miles and a long run

Monday: off
Tues: bike 30 minutes + core
Wed: Pisgah with Griffin- beautiful day; LOG 10
Thurs: Spin class 60 min + core
Fri: 21 miles at Goal Marathon Pace, 2:58/8:28pace; LOG 21
Sat: off - on feet all day with 5K/work
Sun: much needed pedicure while Greg and Griffin ran in MA

Not a high mileage week, but a good week none-the-less.  I'm really taking the recovery piece seriously.  Took Mon and Tues light because of the 14 miler on Sunday.  The bike and spin classes are great.  Then the 21 miles on Friday.  This run went really well.  I am again encouraged with the effort.  It was a windy day and the route isn't easy, so I think I am setting myself up well for the marathon.  Tat joined me for the last 6 again and that helps keep me going.  The hardest miles seem to be the two after picking her up and then I seem to refocus and get back into it.  My last two miles were at 8:20 pace so I was glad to see I can push a little - when I really just want to be done.  The entire run took me 2:58:00 for an 8:28 pace.  That's just where I want to be. 

I've read lots of things about how long runs should be slower than "race pace" and/or they shouldn't exceed 2.5 hours and on and on.  It can be confusing but I feel like I'll go into Vermont a lot more confident knowing I felt like I could've continued 5.2 more miles on Friday and had a pretty good marathon.  I wouldn't want to be schlepping around at 9 or 10 minute pace for 3-4 hours in training- I don't think that would help my psyche!  Plus I'm really trying to work on my form and efficiency- I find that hard to do if I'm purposely running "slower" - and lets be honest 8:30 pace is slow enough!  Maybe if I was trying to run a sub-3 hour marathon that kind of training advice makes sense, but I'm doing it this way and if it blows up in my face I'll try something else next time.  I think the key if you are doing the long runs is recovery and I'll take a lot of recovery after this one. 

I didn't really have any aches and pains during the run (well, I'm sure I did but I can only remember the splinter in my big toe at mile 13 which I removed after a shower), but I woke up Saturday with my left Psoas (hip flexor) completely shut down.  Had to lift my leg into the car and couldn't lift my knee up to save my life.  Standing around while helping with the Sports Med 5K and then for a lacrosse game couldn't have helped.  I woke up Sunday and it was working a little better although still sore and today it's better still so I'm not as worried.  Just going to be sure to recover because I know running will test it for sure.  Otherwise feel good!  Almost wish that was my last long run before Vermont City, but I know I need to get some medium and perhaps a longer run in warmer weather!  It'd be great if Burlington was going to be 40 degrees on race day, but that's unlikely and I know I don't do well in heat.  That may be a problem.  I had no GI issues on this run which was also encouraging.  I know that can change in an instant on any run, but the GU and water is working so I won't change that at this point.  Just have to practice on opening those damn packets on the run! 

This week, recover as if it was a race.  I also have a cold brewing, so I'll try not to get run down and sick again.  Today I just biked and worked on the hip flexor.  I have a lot going on at work tomorrow anyway so running probably won't fit.  Won't have a high mileage week, but a couple medium runs and depending on how they go a 14-15 miler Sunday.  Unless I can find a race.  Couple spin classes (I'm too easy on myself on the bike on my own) planned too.  It's a process, and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment