Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pleasant and Speckled Mountains in Maine....

On monday, Greg, Griffin, and I drove to Maine to visit with my family at my brothers cabin.  On monday we stopped at Pleasent Mountain in Bridgton, ME on the way to the cabin.  My plan was that we could make this a trail run.  The trails are on the backside of the Shawnee Peak Ski Area and Moose Pond is at the base.  There is a good trail map online and we (okay, I) decided we would tackle Ledges Trail.  It was pretty hot and humid, and steeper than I had imagined, so the running only lasted a few minutes! oh well I had good intentions, but it really is silly to think I could keep up with Greg!  He didn't want to run ahead and was fine with time on his feet, so we hiked it like normal people.  It was a good climb and nice views along the way as well as at the top.  There are a few trails and it probably would make a good running mountain. 

Greg pondering how pleasant it is on Pleasant Mountain.....



On Tuesday, we went to the White Mountains - there's just a relatively small section of the WMNF in Maine.  I have been dying to explore the White Moutnains since moving here 3 years ago!  We went to Speckled Mountain, not far from the NH border, and it looks like there are so many good hikes in that area. This one we planned (okay, I planned) as a hike and "time on our feet". We also took Boomer, my brothers family dog- he and Giffin got along fabulously.  Anyway, we got to the trailhead and it was a little over 4 miles to the top.  I had planned a loop, but left my itinerary in NH (SO UNLIKE ME).  So we opted to just do an out and back on the Bickford Brook Trail starting from Brickett Place onf Route 113 (with an little excursion to "the slides").  This trail was way more "trail run" as compared to Pleasant Mtn (at least for me).  Next time that will be the plan for sure.  It was such a gentle climb that it was surprising we were climbing a mountain.  I guess some of the other trails are a bit steeper.  The dogs did great (we were a little worried about Boomer...he's a big boy).  We got to the top and it started to rain and there wasn't a view to be seen.  The mist blowing in was kinda cool, but I wouldve liked it to blow out again so we could see more- apparently you can see Mt. Washington.  Oh well, just gives us reason to go back and run it!  Not much wildlife except for Boreal Chickadees and moose poop! On the way back, the dogs and Greg zonked out in the car...not steep, but a long hike!

Me and the dogs at the summit....you can see the lack of view....


Greg heading down the "slides"...pretty cool place, the pictures don't do it justice of course....


Greg "power hiking"...I have video, but he might break up with me if I post it!



On Wednesday, we walked to the "common area" in the cabin development.  It was pretty neat and I wish we had known about it monday when we were running a miserable 5 miles on the roads!  Not an extensive trail system but a nice area and trail laps would have been better than the road we ran on- plus a dip in the river would have been nice.  (Crooked River) 

Greg, Josh, and Hailey on the other side of the river


Hailey, Boomer, and Griffin-patiently waiting for her to throw something




Not sure where Josh is trying to go....Boomer clearly gave up....



The family on the beach area...Hailey, John, Sue, Mom....Greg is in the back there somewhere....




That's the trip in a nutshell!  Didn't get in as much of the running I had so thoughtfully planned, but it was nice to hang out with the family- won't get to do that again til Thanksgiving.  We left in time to get back for Wednesday night track workout for Greg and spin class for me.  Griffin needed some sleep! Back at it....
 
 

1 comment: